Saturday, January 2, 2010

Coming Undone

"I figured he was going to send someone. I just didn't know when. Or if he was going to send one of his own."
"I'm nothing like him. Get that right now," I grunt with a fiery passion.
He doesn't understand. Luther and I are on different sides of the spectrum. And yet...we share a common enemy.
Thirst.
I continue.
"Why are you hanging around with Draven?"
Seth looks at his family who still seem to be frozen in fear.
"Guys go back to bed. Daddy's ok. Honey, I'll explain. Ok. Trust me."
I watch her eyes as they fill with tears. Each drop that fell to the floor, was my tear.
I can't stop thinking about Draven and the fear that she is feeling...and the..pain that Luther is causing her.
Gathering up my emotions, I yell.
"SETH! WHY ARE YOU SEEING DRAVEN!!! Luther has her and he is threatening to hurt her. And he wants your DAMN leg with some code on it! What the hell is going on?"
He sits back with a his hand on his lip.
I busted it up pretty bad. Here lately, I've been feeling more angry.
I've been losing touch with humanity and embracing, painfully, my demon.

"Draven, is my partner. Not my adultry partner, my lab assistant. her and I have been working for two years trying to continue her father's work to cure, well, vampires."
At that moment, more questions started to overwhelm me and that conversation we had before Resident Evil blurred into my memeory.
Why did she keep this from me?
Luther's comment, "A zoologist. Really Kingsly? How naive," overlapped my other memory.
Was she using the money I've raised to give to her for this research?
I blink and breathe slow.
She was in more danger than I thought. If she's working on the antidote...
I break the silence.
..."Does she have a code too?"
"Yes. But she doesn't have it on her body. She has it scattered in journals. One number, randomly, in 18 journals. Only she knows where they are and only she know the order. I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name."
"Yeah. It's because I didn't pitch it."
Seth is getting irrated.
It's cute to see lab boy get flustered.
"Look. You just about killed me. I'm sure you cracked some teeth, AND you put me in an awkward position with my family. You owe me a name."
He was right.
I wouldn't have told him if he didn't pull the family card on me.
"Kingsly. And Draven...is MY wife."
"You're Kingsly? I thought you were dead."
"I am," I replay with blackend pupils.
"She talks about you all the time. How thoughtful you were, and how often she thinks about you. You know, every night..."
I finish his sentence.
..."She eats alone. At 7:30. She sits across the table and cries at the empty seat where I used to sit. And she talks to me as if I was there. She laughs as though I'm there creating that beautiful chuckle."
"She loves you Kingsly. She would never replace you. And I would never even attempt to try to make her change her mind. As you can see, I have my own family and loving wife here."
"You're a fellow husband,I respect that."
I couldn't tell him that with every moment passing by, I was imagining his warm blood filling my cold capsule of a body.
"So, Seth clears his throat, "luther sent you for the code? And you want to kow what the code is for? I'm sorry I won't tell you. The less you know, the safer you and Draven and everyone of your kind is. I can tell you that he doesn't want the antidote to cure himself and, no matter what he says, I'm not keeping it from him."
A sudden flashback of the forest hit me.

"Aren't you tired of being like this, because I am. And he's keeping valuable information from me! My own brother!"

I look at him. He has his sharp nose, his cheek bones.
"Your Luther's brother?"
"Yes. I'm trying to cure him. But he's been a vampire for so long that the demon wihin him has taken over and now he is consumed by it. He wants to destroy the antidote and everyone who knows about it. He already got to Athis. He was our vampire on the inside. Luther gave him poison and tore off the leg with part of the code on it. He wants mine. And I'm sure he's waiting to beat Draven's out of her. You see Kingsly, we are the only three that have the code parts."
"For what?"
"I can't! Ok! Telling you would put Draven in even more danger than she already is."
This nerd obviously doesn't know me.
"Listen here! I'm fighting every urge in ,my body to not rip you to pieces and drain you of every ounce of life out of you. Tell me...right now, what these codes are! I've had enough secrets!"
I'm now in his face with my hand gripping the sword that is close to his right leg.
He smells of fear.
"Alright, he answers as I let the grip loosen on the sword,"Ok. The codes each of us have are the codes to the safe box that hold all the ingredients to make the antidote. It took us that whole two year span to gather up each piece. From decyphering Draven's dad's journals to actually making the ingredients, took two years. We have one more ingredient in the making, and then after that it's a matter of the right combination to combine them. One way could be the antidote, another could create a bile that will make a vampire communion juice for lack of a better phrase. Kinglsy...Draven. Is. In.Serious. Danger.
I grip the sword and slice.
Seth screams at the top of his lungs.
The blade of the sword had merely scratched him.
"Then what do we do Seth? What the HELL do we do!"
Coming Undone fills the thick air.
TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment