Sunday, December 6, 2009

He was Here


There it stood.
The oak tree with the head gash marked onto the trunk.
I look back now and think to myself," What if I hadn't looked back to see if that frigid breath was his on the back of my neck? Would I have not turned into the sturdy trunk that became my headstone?"
Clenching my fist, I hurl it into the blood spot, not even caring that my fist was now dirtied with both blood from my knuckle and bark.
"Why did you look back Kingsly?" You should have just ran," I say to myself with an annoying tone.
Why am I here?
Just because I return back to where I turned into this vicious demon, doesn't mean I'll find any evidence on where to find him.
Or am I just here for closure?
Closure?
I'll never have closure.
Closure doesn't exist to me. Nothing exists anymore.
Just me and him.
Rummaging through the woods, all the memories start flashing back.

"I'll find him, bring him back here so we can do what we do best...persuade."
"You would do that to your own brother?" You're sick. I love it."

I still remember his smirk when he said "persuade." His white teeth and the sharp fangs seemed to penetrate my skull before his actual teeth sank physically into me.
His dark hair that swept over at an angle across his dirty bearded face, covering one eye, seemed like he was hiding something.
He was.
His other eye was gone. Replaced by a glass one.
He was hiding something else though.
He knew I was there.
Listening.
As I look past the trees in the woods, I see the silhouettes of where they stood and hear the last thing I would hear before I was running for my life and thinking I actually had a chance to survive.

"How do you know, Luther?"
"Because, Ican smell it! I know my brother has the cure! Don't you hate being like this? My brother is holding out on us. I'll find him, kill him and..."

There was something in his raspy voice that had me question whether he believed what he was saying.

That's when those deep blue eyes stared into mine and I felt a fear that no human should ever feel.

My past is behind me now.
What was I looking for?
What did I expect to find here?
Where to find it?

What's that smell?
It smells familiar.

"What...are....you doing here?"
I hear a man scrambling in the leaves.
It's him. The man Luther was talking to.

I pull him out of the leaves and find my hands covered in blood.
He coughs up a spurt of it onto my black jacket.

"Gross," I say with a discussed look on my face.
I don't even care that his arm is twisted and his leg is missing.

"Where's Luther?"
"You think I'd tell you! You piece of shit! Why'd you come back? Revenge? HA! Kingsly you should have kept your nose in the pizza box and left business to us real vampires."

I've had enough of this fuck. I was growing impatient and I stuck my finger deep in where his leg was missing.

"You tell me right now where Luther is and I'll let you die peacefully."
He hocked a spit of blood in my eye and took a rock and smashed in his own head.
A lifeless, vampire corpse, the only one who knew where my killer was, now lay limp in my grasp.

I search his velvet purple jacket for anything I could use to get me closer to Luther.

He comes up empty.
All I found was twenty dollars and a condom.

I was about to give up when I spotted a piece of paper in the leaves and a note next to a spilled glass that reaked of rat poison.

"Smart move. Having the combination on your leg. I knew you were helping him. Thanks for the limb. I haven't eaten in weeks.
Your friend,
Luther"

I crumpled up the note and screamed.
The resting birds flew into the air.

I took out my cell phone and dialed the number.
A woman's voice answered.
To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment