Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sweet Memory

"Baby! Its fine come back to the couch. It's cold," Draven said with her usual sweet tone.
As I lay seemingly lifeless in the dead autumn leaves, the memory of our last date ran clear in my memory.

Even though the movie kept skipping, nothing cold ruin that night with her. Just seeing her all curled up on the couch, warm under the blankets with those gorgeous blue eyes staring back at me made me forget that this night was failing.

"Kingsly, its fine. We've seen Tropic Thunder a million times. Come back on the couch, your cappuccino is getting cold. I made it for you, ya know."
The way she said that last sentence drew me in. I was guilty of letting her cappuccino go cold.
I smiled.
Looking at her just smiling back at me made me feel like no one else existed in the world but her and I. She was and still is the most wonderful woman on this planet.

"But I feel so bad! I have to work tomorrow. And it's going to be an intense night... Sunday plus football games equal a crazy night! And this is the one night in the week I got called off. I wanted it perfect. With one of our favorites, all warm and what not, eatin' Chinese and laughing our asses off."

I remember that laugh.
It's the type of laugh that when you hear it, you just automatically become happy.

Draven retaliates in her usual manner.
"You know as long as you're here with me I'm fine."
There it is. That smile that melts me every time.

As I'm being sniffed by raccoons in reality, my memory continues.

"Kingsly I have to tell you something."
"What baby," I reply, anticipating her news.
We had been trying for a kid for a year, and no matter how hard we tried, our little family was put on hold.

She continues.
"My dad was a scientist. An underground scientist. He was the one that they went to to create antidotes for rare diseases. He didn't get paid for his work because he felt that he shouldn't be paid to help people. He was working on a very important antidote one night. One that he said would revolutionize the world and stun people who don't believe. He never did explain what he meant by that. But anyway, one night he almost had it done, and his lab partner killed him in cold blood and was never seen again. He never left a note as to why he slaughtered my father, but all he did was take loads of his journals and burn them. Two years ago, I found one that was left behind. He was working on a vamire antidote."

I remember laughing. Hard.

"Baby. Vampires are myths. They aren't real. Only the ones in Underworld are."
She smirked at my little joke.

"Is that all you wanted to tell me? I'm ready to kick some Resident Evil ass!"
Draven looked away to wipe her long brown hair out her face and responded,
"Yeah....that's all. LET'S DO THIS!!!"
She grabs her Xbox controller, the one with the brass knuckle sticker, and winks at me.
I couldn't have loved anyone else.
Draven Harding was my match. And me hers.

The smell of the morning fog catches my nose and I wake up from the cheap shot that Luther gave me several hours ago.
DRAVEN!!!
I rose up from my stupor and glided through the leaves to make sure my love wasn't harmed.
If she was...
I would stop at NOTHING to brutally kill Luther.
I promise.
I always keep my promises.
To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment