Sunday, December 27, 2009

Inner Demon

He would feel it right away.
The blood suddenly stopping to make the heart beat and being replaced by a thirst, a murderous thirst for those who have the life substance.
He would feel it.
The heart being turned to ice as all emotions seem to disappear and only one consuming all of them.
Hate.
He would live with it.
Being alone and hiding in the shadows as both the hate and the thirst consumed him. Until he, too, would kill...to quench the demon inside.
I did that to him.
I created that monster.
As I sit in the barn, thinking of the man I had taken my rage on, I remember the things I took away from him.
Happiness.
Life.
And a wife.
When tearing into the man's throat, I catch a glimpse of his wedding band. It shimmers in my eye and realize what I'm doing.
I had feasted and quenched my thirst.
For now.
For the past 6 months, I was confused as to how I was going to quench this thirst.
How long will this last?
How long will it be until I feed again?
I can hear the sirens wail over the sound of my own speech.
"They're wasting their time. They won't be able to find me. What am I? I've killed a husband. I've killed...me. I'm no better than Luther," I clench my fist at his name," I lost him....I..."
My pocket starts screaming Korn's classic Coming Undone.
Unknown number.
Luther.
"What do you want from me!?"
"Kingsly! Bravo! You finally grew a pair and gave in to your inner demon. I applaud you! That was very well staged!"
I can hear him smiling through the phone.
I can see those fangs as he laughs his sinister cackle.
He continues...
"You're becoming just like me Kingsly. How'd it taste? Warm? Satisfying?"
"SHUT THE HELL UP!! I'M NOTHING LIKE YOU! You kill for the thrill. I..."
I can't finish my sentence.
Luther takes advantage of the silence.
"Ya know Kingsly, whether you like it or not, you're like me. In more ways than one.
You can't finish the sentence because you enjoyed the kill. Admit it. You enjoyed the fullfilment it gave you. It was like you were alive again."
The bastard was making sense.
That kill made me feel more alive than I've ever felt. Even when I was human, I didn't feel that alive.
Luther continues his rant.
"Remember who you saw in Draven's apartment?"
My pupils dialate.
"Who...was...that?" I say through clenched teeth.
"Kingsly. She's a young 26 year old who needs a man to help her start a new life. You're dead to her. You don't exist. She's. Replaced. You."
Those words boil my veins and make every lifeless one pump with anger.
"Why are you doing this? What have I done to you?"
"Hahahaha Kinglsy. You're funny! What haven't you done to me? But that's for a later day, pumpkin. Do you want Draven's new boy toy dead?"
The question lingers in the phone lines like a virus ready to release a sickness.
"....Yes," I answer slowly.
"Good. I'd be worried if you didn't. Since I'm feeling sympathetic...I'll tell you where he lives and you can do...what the demon inside tells you to do. But I want something in return. He has a code...etched on his right leg. I need that...and don't ask questions. If you want pretty boy out of Draven's life, you'll bring me that right leg...and the rest is yours."
Why am I considering this?
The line stays quiet.
I go through his request and give an answer.
"Luther. I would rather cut off my own leg and end your life with it than do your killing for you."
"I thought you were smarter than that Kingsly. Oh! Hey, while I have you on the line...someone wants to say a little word."
My legs buckled and I fall to the ground as the voice, the sweet, now terrified voice, cried.
"KINGSLY! I'M SOR..."
"DRAVEN!!!! LUTHER YOU'RE DEAD!!! YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD!!!"
"Ah...now Kingsly you can hurt my feelings later. My deal?"
"....fuck you. Where does...this man live?"
All the hair raises on my skin. I want nothing more to find this monster and show him who he's dealing with.
"2704 Beamount Avenue. And Kingsly...thank you. I'll call in 4 hours. Give you plenty of time to be pissed off and do what I ask. Love you."
"IF YOU HURT ONE HAIR...I'LL FIND YOU...I PROMISE!! I..."
Click.
Silence.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"Your husband is a scary man hahaha. I'm real intimidated."
"It's not him you that you should be intimidated by. It's me, you shit!, Draven smirks.
SMACK!
"You're precious."
Draven headbutts Luther and welcomes another hit.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Here it is.
I stare at the address.
2704 Beamount Ave.
Seth Balkner reads on the mailbox.
What now inner demon?
To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment